Monday, June 18, 2012

June Eldertoial: Phil Williams

The following post is the Eldertorial featured in our church newsletter, the Amen Almanac, for June.  Each month, one of our Elders (those called by God and the congregation to guide our spiritual life together) writes a reflection on ways they see God at work in the world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


June sure got here quick did it not? June means the beginning of summer. June is lightning bugs, campouts and cookouts. June is birthday month for my brother, my nephew and my newest oldest daughter Zee. June means the golf courses are all green and give you their best, while you hope you are at yours.  June means time on the boat and June means Fathers' Day.

My most vivid memories of my father are from June.
Chuck Williams traveled the south as a manufacturer’s rep in the auto parts business and orders for heater hoses and the stuff he peddled, slowed down in the summer months. June meant little league baseball, Father's Day and lots of fishin' cause the ol' man was at home.

Chuck Williams died when I was only 14, also in the month of June. I think about him all the time and I am very thankful for the lessons he imparted to me. Before I became a father I would have given all that I had if I could only talk to him in the hopes he would tell me that he was proud of me.
My daughter is 14 and I am so very proud of her. I hope together with a wonderful Godly woman, that I am giving her lessons she will take into parenthood someday.  I hope she has learned that no matter what, her heavenly Father loves her unconditionally, and that gift is given freely. I hope she knows that when she talks to Him, He will listen. And as her earthly father I hope she knows she can tell me anything and I will listen as well.

Two buddies of mine are getting ready to be fathers of baby boys. By the time you read this one will probably already be.  I am excited for both of them, because I know their hearts and I know they will be great fathers. They know that time with family and teaching them to fish or throw or ...."Just do the right thing"...is so very important.  They also know that even in months like June it is important to balance play time with worship time.
J
une is here, Happy Father’s Day...whether it is your first, or just one of many. Oh yeah I almost forgot...the best lesson that Dad taught me...the best Fathers' Day card you can give is a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment